Support Services & Helplines
MidCentral Health – Maternal & Perinatal Mental Health
Perinatal Mental Health is a service for expectant mothers or those up to one year following birth who are experiencing difficulties with mental health and/or addictions issues. The objective of the service is to provide specialist perinatal mental health assessment, treatment, care and support in conjunction with other providers to meet the needs of the mother and her infant in the context of her family and whanau and or other natural supports.
- Advice and clinical support
- Clinical peer supervision
- Education both to internal and external agencies of MidCentral Health
- Works in collaboration with women and their families/whanau and others to support the womans return to optimum well being.
- Liaises and consults with Capital and Coast Regional Maternal Mental Health Services
- Completes perinatal mental health screening assessments as required
- Uses the Edinburgh Post Natal Depression Scale Assessment Tool (EPDS)
- Supports the facilitation of pre-birth plan
Perinatal Mental Health will see women who have anxiety, post natal psychosis or women with post traumatic symptoms associated with pregnancy or birth trauma and women in the antenatal period.
Referrals are accepted via self referral, GP or community agencies.
Referrals are treated on a case by case basis. All referrals must have relevant clinical information and to assist with triaging the completion of an Edinburgh Post Natal Depression Scale Assessment would be of assistance. (A copy of the Edinburgh Post Natal Depression Scale Assessment can be obtained from the Perinatal Mental Health team.)
Gate 12, Ruahine St
Palmerston North Hospital
p. 06 3508184 ext 9680
Online PND Recovery Course – Mothers Helpers provides an online 10 week Perinatal Depression/Anxiety Recovery Course. All mums who have completed the course can go on to have therapy with your facilitator – a registered/qualified counsellor, social worker, life coach or mental health nurse. Click here for more information about the course