Nelson and bays
Support Services & Helplines
Perinatal Support Nelson
The network was started in 1989 by a group of women who had experienced Postnatal Depression and recognised the lack of support available in their community.
It has since grown into a professional service that provides information and offers support through trained and experienced volunteer Support Workers and qualified Counsellors. The service covers the area from Nelson to Motueka, and provide telephone and/or email support for those in rural surrounding areas.
Family Start Nelson (He Matapuna Ora Charitable Trust)
73 Quarantine Road
PO Box 2541, Stoke
p. (03) 547 0940
e. [email protected]
Family Start is an intensive early intervention home visitation programme for families with young children aged 0 – 12 months at the time of referral, who are at risk of poor life outcomes. The programme targets the highest-need families and provides practical advice, support and parenting education to ensure that their children have the best possible start in life. The programme scope enables support to families from before the baby is born until the child begins school.
Family Start aims to:
- improve health, education and social outcomes for children
- improve parents’ parenting capability and practice
- improve children and parents’ personal and family circumstances.
Family Start providers in this region are Tai Poutini Whānau Po Kiteata Trust based in Buller and He Matapuna Ora Trust based in Nelson.
PND Marlborough Charitable Trust
Room 20, Marlborough Community Centre
25 Alfred Street, Blenheim
Marlborough 7201 NZ
- Based in Blenheim, the trust runs a weekly therapy group and Stepping Stones, a peer support group for mothers experiencing Perinatal Distress.
- Childcare is provided for the therapy group and it is facilitated by a registered family counsellor.
- Women can attend both or one at a time.
- We also provide information, education, and can advocate for mothers.
Provide support to mothers experiencing ante-natal and postnatal anxiety and depression, also offer PND Recovery courses and follow-up counselling in 12 areas across the North Island as well as online. These are delivered by qualified counsellors, social workers, life coaches or mental health nurses.
PND Recovery Course – Mothers Helpers provides a 10 week Perinatal Depression/Anxiety Recovery Course. All mums who have completed the course can go on to have therapy with your facilitator – a registered/qualified counsellor, social worker, life coach or mental health nurse. Click here for more information about the course