• Johnsonville, Wellington
  • 04 461 6318
  • office@pada.nz


Seeking help & References

Seeking help


More information is available from the Alcohol Advisory Council of New Zealand (ALAC), who have a website at www.alcohol.org.nz

It can be very difficult for someone to accept that they have a drinking or drug problem – it takes a lot of courage to admit it.

If you think your use of a substance is causing problems for you, there are lots of places to talk about the issues and get help. These include your GP, midwife, Plunket Nurse, and local Alcohol and Drug Service (which should be in the phone book under mental health services).



  1. National Clinical Guidelines for the management of drug use in pregnancy breastfeeding and early developmental years of the newborn. Published by NSW Dept of Health 2006 (copyright Commonwealth of Australia)
  2. Food and Nutrition Guidelines for Healthy Pregnant and Breastfeeding Women: A background paper.
  3. Ministry of Health New Zealand
  4. Alcohol Advisory Council of New Zealand – http://www.alcohol.org.nz


This content originated from the Mothers Matter website



The information and advice found on this website aims to reflect current medical knowledge and practice. However, this is not a substitute for clinical judgement and individual medical advice. The website authors accept no responsibility for any consequences arising from relying upon the information contained on this website.

We take the accuracy of the information we publish on our website very seriously, and updateregularly. Please check back for updates, or let us know if you think the information is out of date.