Maternal Mental Health Team – Waitemata District Health Board
124a Shakespeare Road
p. 09 488 4634
f. 09 486 8999 (Main Base)
Child Health Unit
Waitakere Hospital (Outreach Office)
- Multidisciplinary team of mental health professionals including: Psychiatrist, psychologist, social worker, occupational therapists, nurses
- Referrals are accepted of women living in the DHB catchment area, with a serious mental health illness that is related to the experience of pregnancy, childbirth and/or the postnatal adjustment who are in the second trimester of pregnancy or have a baby under the age of one year
- A pre pregnancy consultation is available for women with a history of serious mental illness eg, Schizophrenia, Bipolar Affective Disorder who are planning to become pregnant.
- Referrals of a preventive nature are accepted of pregnant women who are mentally well but have a history of psychosis or of a perinatal mental illness of a severity that mental health service input was required to achieve stability.
Types of Service:
- Assessment and range of treatments. All outpatient based – no inpatient facilities.
- Maternal Mental Health accepts referrals from other mental health service providers, eg Community Mental Health Team, Psych Liaison, other DHB Maternal Mental Health Teams. Any other referrals are directed to the woman’s local Community Mental Health Team for triage and assessment.
- Maternal Mental Health, operating as a Tertiary Mental Health Specialist Service provider is able to support colleagues working in primary and secondary health services by providing consultation/liaison and to assist those women whose perinatal mental health needs cannot be met by other services in the region.
Provide support to mothers experiencing ante-natal and postnatal anxiety and depression, throughout the wider Auckland region.
Also offer a Perinatal Depression Recovery Course and a 10 week online course.
Phone: 0800 002 717 or 022 093 1822
Online PND Recovery Course – Mothers Helpers provides an online 10 week Perinatal Depression/Anxiety Recovery Course. All mums who have completed the course can go on to have therapy with your facilitator – a registered/qualified counsellor, social worker, life coach or mental health nurse. Click here for more information about the course