Maternal Mental Health Team – Waitemata District Health Board
Maternal Mental Health
124a Shakespeare Road
p. 09 488 4634
f. 09 486 8999 (Main Base)
Child Health Unit
Waitakere Hospital (Outreach Office)
- Maternal Mental Health is a small, specialist tertiary mental health team providing a service to women who are pregnant or have a baby under 12 months of age, who have developed a severe mental health illness related to the experience of pregnancy, childbirth and/or the adjustment to motherhood.
- Referrals are directed in the first instance to the woman’s local community mental health team for triage/assessment.
- Maternal Mental Health accepts referrals from other secondary mental health services including community mental health teams, psychiatric liaison services, psychiatrists in private practice and other maternal mental health teams.
- Pregnant women who have bipolar affective disorder, schizophrenia or a past history of psychosis, who are currently well can be referred directly to the team . A plan will be developed in conjunction with the woman aimed at supporting their well being during the period of birth and the postpartum period
- A phone consultation service is provided to GPs. The Maternal Mental Health specialist doctors can advise on medications used during pregnancy, in particular with those women who are in their first trimester and with women who are breastfeeding.A pre-conception assessment is offered to women with severe mental illness (e.g. bipolar affective disorder, schizophrenia) who are planning to have a baby.Maternal Mental Health provides this service to all women of childbearing age who live in the Waitemata District Health Board area.
Provide support to mothers experiencing ante-natal and postnatal anxiety and depression, also offer PND Recovery courses and follow-up counselling in 12 areas across the North Island as well as online. These are delivered by qualified counsellors, social workers, life coaches or mental health nurses.
Phone: 0800 002 717 or 022 093 1822
PND Recovery Course – Mothers Helpers provides a 10 week Perinatal Depression/Anxiety Recovery Course. All mums who have completed the course can go on to have therapy with your facilitator – a registered/qualified counsellor, social worker, life coach or mental health nurse. Click here for more information about the course
North Shore: Spaces available now for individual and group work
Course facilitator: Jasmin Shea, Counsellor
- Maternal Mental Health Community Support Services
- Secure Beginnings- home based early intervention attachment service
- Supported Landlord Services
- Counselling Services
- Creche for mothers who are attending the programmes
- Op Shop
- Mother’s support groups
Dr Sarah Bell-Booth
- • Face-to-face or Skype
- • Individual or mini-groups
- • Antenatal, postnatal and parents with older children
- • Reduced rates for increased access and affordability